It is finally here!! The warmer weather has arrived and if you are anything like us, you are tripping over yourself to spend more time outdoors. Through all those rainy and chilly months perhaps you were envisioning leisurely outdoor meals and parties and living vicariously through beautiful instagram images. No, just me?! Ok, fine. But no longer must we pine over other’s warm weather – the time is here to get out doors and dine alfresco ourselves!
We are fortunate to have a lovely back deck to enjoy. Currently it is a bit of clean slate, as it no longer needs to be a play space for plastic kids toys and tricycles (the kids can roam the neighbourhood on their bikes now). So we are excited to claim it as an extension of our living space. Somewhere we can drink our morning coffee, entertain friends or have dinner.
However I am a big believer of working with what you have and where you are at right now. So until I have my dream patio dining set we will happily set up a high tea picnic to welcome the warmer weather with a few of our favourite go to recipes!
- Loaf of White Sandwich Bread (16 slices)
- 250g Spreadable Cream Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Dill
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt (or sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 32 Thin slices of Cucumber
- In a small bowl mix together the cream cheese with the chopped dill, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly onto each slice of bread.
- Top with cucumber slices.
- Cover with top slice of bread (that also has cream cheese spread), so there is cream cheese sandwiching the cucumber slices.
- Slice off the crusts for a more fancy, delicate appearance (if desired) and cut each sandwich into 4 triangles. This is optional as I myself actually quite like the crusts left on!
- Do not leave the salt and pepper out of the cream cheese, as this makes a big difference to the overall taste of the sandwich.
- The cream cheese spread or the sandwiches can be made several hours ahead and covered in the fridge, it will allow for even better flavour.
Homemade Orange Julius is a favourite warm weather treat around here. This is our go to summer drink and we love, love, love it!! In fact we have all come to like it even more than the real thing!
- Half a container frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 Cup Cold Water
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 3/4 Cup Ice
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Flax Seed (optional)
- Put all the ingredients in a blender. No need to measure the frozen orange juice perfectly, just scoop out about half.
- Replace lid and blend on low until mixed and then on high until there are no chunks of ice left and a thick consistency.
- Drink immediately and preferably outdoors in the sunshine!
- Cover the remaining frozen concentrate and keep in the freezer for your next orange Julius craving.
- I do not always add the ground flax seed, but the kids do not notice it in there when I do.
Sugar cookies are a lovely thing at a tea party or really anywhere. Some of our favourites we have made are these delightful Tea Time Cookies and Ice Cream Cone Cookies and Eiffel Towers. Any of these would be right at home at a tea party!
Daydreaming and Planning
Now that we have entered this new stage where the kids can play together outside the confines of the deck. It’s exciting to plan and browse all the beautiful outdoor dining options and get inspired with all Wayfair.ca has to offer.
That vision of the first alfresco dinner party is already shaping up. Where I will be certain to have these lights in the Magnolia above the deck (it is a must) and if I am really throwing caution to the wind perhaps these plates and glasses will make an appearance as well. Until then we will just be busy enjoying a little tea party picnic on the back deck!
Want to have your own alfresco tea party picnic?! I don’t blame you! Why not let Wayfair.ca give you little help.
You can find similar floral throw blanket here or picnic blanket
Serving Trays like these
And perhaps even some pillows:
*This post was a part of a Wayfair.ca blogger campaign for Al Fresco Dining, however all the opinions are definitely my own and I do really (REALLY) want all the outdoor entertaining links I have personally chosen!!*